Gerald M. Eberhardt

2012, End Tables

One day my loving wife came home from the local department store with four wicker baskets and asked if would make her tables for them. She wanted something simple, functional and small enough to fit on the ends of couch. These two end tables were an adventure in tenon mortise joints, there is 24 in each table, plus the tenons overlapped in the lags.
I used Google Sketch Up to generate a model



2011, Bed Serving Trays

While on a camping trip a friend that works for a door manufacturer brought up some cut-offs as fire wood. Mahogany!
It was really hard to burn that beautiful Mahogany throughout that night. The next morning I asked if I could grab the
last of the scraps….well I got them and here is what they became.

These are “bed serving trays” of my design.
I used Google Sketch Up to generate a model of the final design. Now there were some subtle changes
between the model and the final product.

To strengthen the corners I splined the miter joints as described in this article.




2010 to 2011;

All shop activity was place on hold from 2010 to 2011 so I could focus on finishing my Masters Thesis.

2009, Rustic Desk Project

A special thank you goes out to my father-in-law for all his help, and for my mother in-law’s patience.

In 2007 my in-laws were searching for a rustic style desk to fit a loft area of their log home. The search was long and
yielded few options. Some were too small for the area and other options would not utilize the area efficiently. During a
conversation at a family a get together I mentioned my desire to returning to the world of woodworking and would not mind
taking on the task. They accepted. Now the challenge stated, I didn’t have a fully functional woodshop and was a bit rusty
on woodworking skills since I really didn’t do much since high school.

The project officially kicked off November of 2007, and finished on January 3, 2009.
The desk fit perfectly in the loft area of my in-laws log home. It seemed small there, but in reality it covers a square
area of 87” by 87”. That is half the space of a one stall garage, as seen in the second picture.
This project has a special place in my heart, and it all started from a conversation during a family dinner when my
mother-in-law mentioned the difficulty of finding a rustic desk for their home.

This was my first real furniture project since high school and the first in my own shop.
Over the time of this project I learned so much. The maintenance and setup of the equipment, further development of fundamental
wood-working skills, some advanced techniques and working with logs.

The pictures below are of the final day of the project (January 3rd) assembled in my garage shop in the morning and the
final is that evening in the loft.


The log drawer fronts turned out perfectly.


The final addition of four filing cabinet draws was completed in 2012.





2004, Picture Frame

This picture frame was creation for my wife as a Christmas gift. It was constructed of decorative
trimming that I routered out the back to form a groove for the back. The mirror was made from a
plain 12-inch square mirror. To clear out an area to make it a window, the area was masked using
masking tape and the exposed to paint stripper. This removed the protective backing. The next phase
was to ferric chloride (PCB etching solution) to strip the mirror.




2004, Doll Cradle

The doll cradle was created for a Christmas gift for our daughter. During construction we decided to
leave it unfinished to allow her to decorate it. Afterwards I sealed it.




2004, Coffee Table

This project was a hand-me down, the person did all the milling and gave up.
I finished the sanding, staining and sealing.




1988 / 1999, 8-drawer Sewing Desk

This was the big project of my youth, my senior year of high school I took the advanced furniture and cabinet
making woodworking class. This class was 2-semesters long and 2 hours a day.

At time my mother wanted a sewing desk, which we have no plans for. Between us we came up with our own.
When I presented the plans to my teacher I could see he had concerns that I chose a overly aggressive project.
I went for it, besides I had all year and a double class period.

The desk is a mix of woods, lights with darks, and some compromises to save a little cash.
--Top was made of Birdseye Maple and Walnut
--The four sides are fram/panels that are Maple frames with birch ply panel
--The drawers are Maple front and Willow sides --The back is nothing more than common 1/4 plywood

All this wood in 1988 was only $110!

Even in the amount of time I had I was unable to finish it completely because of other class load. The desk sat unfinished
for nearly a decade, and faced the elements of neglect.

In 1999, as fate had it the company I worked for was hit by the hard times and down sized, I was affected.
At that time I was working towards my engineering degree part-time, and decided to
finish it as a full-time student.

Before enrolling, I took a month off that summer and head back home for a long
vacation. While back home I dug out the desk, the unfinished pieces and to assess the
damage of time. The top was water stained from a plant, warped, cupping, and cracking.
The drawers were just ok, all the pieces were there, but one side a slightly damaged from a dog chewing on it.

I set out to see if I could recover the desk from the damage of neglect. So during that month I finished
gluing up the drawers, sanding, sanding, sanding, and sealing. The finish was nothing more than
clear polyurethane.

That month of being unemployed was the best time I ever had, got to spend time with the family and finish a great project!




1986, Round Coffee Table

This was my first big woodworking project, in my junior year of high school I tool advanced woods.
Constructed using Philippine Mahogany (aka Wormhole Mahogany).